A Creative Vision
About Crown Center
In the early 1960s, the area where Crown Center sits was filled with rutted parking lots, abandoned warehouses and a limestone hill cluttered with signs. Crown Center reversed that decline and became one of the nation’s first mixed-use redevelopments. Today, it’s an 85-acre complex that welcomes more than five million visitors each year, and has spurred remarkable redevelopment nearby.
Did you know…
- Hallmark Cards, Inc. founder Joyce C. Hall and his son, longtime Hallmark chairman Donald J. Hall, envisioned the complex, which is home to Hallmark's international headquarters. Crown Center Redevelopment Corp. is a Hallmark subsidiary.
- Five interconnected, seven-story buildings comprised the initial office complex, which was completed in 1971.
- The Crown Center Complex has more than 2.2 million square feet of existing office space.
- The Crown Center shopping center offers nearly 300,000 square feet of leasable space.
- Crown Center is home to two world-class hotels, The Westin Kansas City at Crown Center and the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center.
- The Crown Center Square Fountain features 49 water jets and 48 water shooters that spout up to 60 feet in the air.
- The complex includes a six-acre residential community with more than 230 condominiums.
Want to learn more about our history?
Click here to view a PDF.